Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Sunday 16 May 2010

A Defence of the Scots Highlanders,...

...in General; and some Learned Characters in particular:
Rev John Lanne Buchanan
1794

AFTER reading an enquiry into the History of Scotland, written by Mr. John Pincarton, and considering the asperity of that author, with the injurious, unsupported, and illiberal reflections thrown out against the Highlanders in general, and Learned Characters in particular, I was prompted to make a few remarks on his acrimony against them, and to state facts in their true light, as far as consists with my own knowledge, and these supported by the authority of gentlemen of veracity and candour, in favour of the injured country and people so outrageously insulted.
(original italics)

I found that marvellous opening sentence of such significance as to let it have this entry all to itself.


Notes:

'John Pincarton' is this John Pinkerton :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pinkerton

John Lanne Buchanan also wrote of his Travels in the Western Hebrides from 1782 to 1790’ and that book is currently on sale at £5 here:http://www.theislandsbooktrust.com/pubs/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment